Sunday, January 22, 2006

Just the most beautiful thing

The Chitrasena Dance Academy is showcasing some of this country's most spectacular talent in local dance and drumming this weekend. I appreciate it's late but if anyone sees this blog before 7pm - go! go! go! (to the Wendt).

For those of you who don't get to go - you missed a treat, everything but everything fell into place. All the artistes seemed to be in perfect sync with one another and that's not something you get to see with English theatre and 'modern' dance. Each part of the show flowed seemlessly and to watch that amount of training and discipline coming together is a rare thing in this country.

All the female dancers were stunning and graceful and... wow! I don't have enough adjectives. Some of them seemed really young and they are already such beautiful dancers - I would think there's a lot of scope there for this country and its dance traditions. Thaji, Chitrasena and Vajira's granddaughter just stole the show for me. I couldn't take my eyes off her - she was elegant, graceful and displayed a strength and mastery of her technique that I would think far outshone Upeka's. I should not forget the men - I thought that it was Mohan and Ravibandu that stood out the most of the male dancers. Ravibandu is excellent both as a dancer and a drummer and Mohan, well he's amazing - I really hope his time comes one day.

Here's downside 1 about the show - it just didn't get enough press. Nowhere near enough, we live in an age of blogs, email, sms, mms - to not have hyped the show more was unforgivable.
Downside 2 - we went on the first night and had to listen to Sunethra Bandaranaike's take on Chitrasena as a friend but she somehow turned it into a take on herself, as Chitrasena's friend. Bless her cotton socks but someone should really have pushed her off stage after 2 minutes of that awful speech.

1 comment:

Azrael.words said...

Really?!?! I think Upeka thuds around the stage and doesn't follow her movements right to the end.